» SETC Ultra Deluxe- A real review » Posted by boopathi
I am a regular customer to SETC, travelling back and forth between Chennai and Bangalore. It’s been almost two years since I moved to Bangalore for work and not even a single time I experienced a smooth travel in SETC. The reason why i beckoned to this service is because of its availability and moderate ticket fare when compared to other travels. I can go for KSRTC which is of same rate, but one should book the ticket prior to 10 days in order to travel. So in this post, I can give you few tips to make yourself charged up to face the possible situations while travelling in our own SETC. So, here we go
- Let me start with the reservation scene. Surprisingly, TN government yet to introduce online reservation to use SETC service. So, you should go to anyone of the SETC booth and get the reservation form (1 Rs). Like old style, fill up the particulars and give it to very well trained computer operator. One need patience here, as they are aced in typing and handling the mouse. Then it is very important to check the date of journey (don’t miss the month) in tickets before keeping it in your pocket.
- Now I will list few things which you need to have before boarding your respective bus.
- Bed bugs spray (one full bottle)
- I guarantee you that all the buses have bed bugs. Every time when I travel, I experienced bloody bite. I really pity all the babes and aunties performing abhinayam as the bugs were all over their body. So bed bug spray is must to extricate yourself from nasty bites. My room is full of bed bugs (extremely speed in reproduction) and I am running out of way to get rid of these from my room. Please advise me if you have one.
- Rain coat (during rainy season)
- Jerkin/ sweater (during winter season)
- Windows won’t have bushes to close/open in many buses, stuck in middle and interestingly few buses won’t have one. So it is very helpful if you carry rain coat / umbrella during rainy season. And same goes for jerkin and sweater during winter season.
- Have 500Rs (minimum) cash in hand
- Break down, puncture and gear lever problem are very common to SETC buses. So you can expect these things to happen at any time of your travel. So if it happens to you, you should wait for another SETC bus to reach your destination. You can’t board TNSTC buses (different service but belongs to TN government) with your SETC ticket. If you want to travel in TNSTC, then get a new ticket. So always travel with 500Rs for safer side.
- SETC Ultra Deluxe bus won’t go beyond 50 KMPH. So plan your travel accordingly.
- SETC Ultra Deluxe Video coach has TV box but not TV to play songs or movies.
- SETC Ultra Deluxe has fan in each row but it won’t work even if you try with your finger.
- SETC Ultra Deluxe conductors are very kind and supportive. They will never ever address your complaint and in turn they will shout back at you. Many frown upon conductor’s action, wondering whether he is owner of the vehicle.
The above cited points ain’t exaggeration or not trying to sully their reputation. I experienced it all and many will agree these. The one good point I can quote about SETC is their punctuality. Bus will start in time (5 to 10 mins delay). Other than this everything is negative. I suggest you guys to take train or KSRTC service, if you know your travel date in advance.
I hope TN government will take quick action on this and I wish to see our government travel service to raise their par equal to Karnataka government.